[MITgcm-support] Diffusive flux at bottom boundary

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Wed Apr 27 03:45:26 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I run an idealized simulation with a bump topography in the x-z plane to
see the mixing effects associated with the current-topography interaction.

I get the vertical diffusive flux of potential temperature (diagnostics of DFrE_TH)
at the final step as:

which indicates that there is a spuriously large heating/cooling of temperature
at the bottom grid points.  This is somewhat weired to me.  I guess it is caused
by the verical finite difference of temperature field as kv*(TH[k+1]-TH[k]), where
TH[k+1] is zero below the surface of topography and hence very large gradient
of temperature.

If this is intended, I get very large tendency of TH due to diffusion at the surface
of topography by taking the finite difference as (DFrE_TH[k+1]-DFrE_TH[k]).
However, I am expecting that the topography does not heat the fluid.

So how to explain this?

 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn