[MITgcm-support] Orlanski radiation condition parameters

Stanislav Martyanov martyanov.sd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 07:24:56 EDT 2022

Hi Paul,

Yes, the Orlanski open BCs are suitable for variable phase velocity, but it
works perfectly only in theory. In reality, a number of numerical studies
demonstrated some problems with the Orlanski scheme. For more details, you
may see, e.g., 'Revisiting open boundary conditions from the point of view
of characteristic variables' by E. Blayo *, L. Debreu, 2005, etc.

>From my own experience with MITgcm applied for a real object (with
realistic forcings, etc), the Orlanski scheme does not work very well, and
the Dirichlet+sponge condition is the best option available in the model,
even better than the Stevens OBCs implemented in MITgcm. It' s just my
experience, maybe in other cases it will be the opposite.

---
Kind regards,
Stanislav Martyanov