[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] forcing model with hflux and sflux

Menemenlis, Dimitris (US 329B) dimitris.menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 7 13:46:55 EDT 2022

Hi Rita, although hflux and sflux are not compatible with pkg/seaice or pkg/thsice, there is a super-simple MITgcm sea ice model that is:

You enable it with option “allowFreezing=.TRUE.” under namelist PARM01 in runtime parameter file “data"

C     allowFreezing  :: Allows surface water to freeze and form ice

C     adjustColdSST_diag :: diagnostic field for how much too cold (below
C              Tfreezing) SST has been adjusted (with allowFreezing=T).
C              > 0 for increase of SST (up to Tfreezing).
C              Units are r_unit.K/s (=Kelvin.m/s if r=z).
C        Note: 1) allowFreezing option is a crude hack to fix too cold SST that
C              results from missing seaice component. It should never be used
C              with any seaice component, neither current seaice pkg (pkg/seaice
C              or pkg/thsice) nor a seaice component from atmos model when
C              coupled to it.