[MITgcm-support] Unexpected noise with RBCS

Peng Zhan peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa
Fri Sep 3 17:00:35 EDT 2021

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestions.
The problem still persists even with a very small time step and a long
restoring
timescale.

It is so weird that those noises in the rbcs run appear when the
relaxMaskFile has non-zero values wherever placed in the wet points.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems before?

Thanks, Peng

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:12 AM Matthew Mazloff <mmazloff at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> What is your cfl? You may need to reduce your timestep.
> If you prefer not reducing your timestep you could likely increase your
> diffusivity or viscosity.
>
> (Another possibility is that your restoring timescale is too short, but
> this seems to be showing up even outside the box.)
>
> Matt
>

> On Sep 2, 2021, at 1:54 PM, Peng Zhan <peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am running an experiment with rbcs for temperature.
>
> As shown in the following figure a snapshot of the difference between the
> rbcs run and the free run, while the region to be relaxed can be specified
> by the relaxMaskFile (roughly the box area), some unexpected noise appears
> randomly across the domain.
>
> Any hint to get out of it is highly appreciated!
> Thanks in advance, Peng
> <Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.51.13 PM.png>

Dr. Peng Zhan
Research Scientist
Physical Science and Engineering Division (PSE)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi
Arabia
Mobile: +966 544701621
* <peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa>*

this email.