[MITgcm-support] Deviated results after restart

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Oct 19 08:40:45 EDT 2021

Hi Weiyang,

this can happen, if your machine/compiler combination uses higher precision for internal storage that the nominal 64bit in the restart file, which can lead to different truncation errors (although the differences are very large in your plots).

Can you try to tweak the options of your compiler, so that I uses exact IEEE arithmetics and repeat the test. I would expect that then the problem goes away, or at least get’s much smaller.

Martin