[MITgcm-support] Adding new diagnostics to the code

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Oct 11 01:53:51 EDT 2021

Hi Zhanghaohao,

it’s fairly straightforward to add your  own diagnostics to the code. Within the package of question (in your case pkg/thsice), there’s a file called thsice_diagnostics_init.F, where the diagnostic is defined. There are many examples, so you use a comparable diagnostic as a template (some heat flux variable). Make sure that the “diagCode” is set properly, and that the name you give it has exactly 8 characters (or fill with spaces), eg. ‘SIetop  '
In thsice_calc_thickn.F you then call diagnostics_fill with “etop” as an argument. There are some flags to be set, see diagnostics_fill.F for details or find a comparable example, but I think it should be:
IF ( useDiagnostics ) CALL DIAGNOSTICS_FILL( etop, ‘SIetop  ', 1,1,2,bi,bj, myThid )

Martin