[MITgcm-support] Adding a strictly westward advective velocity on the LLC grids

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Nov 26 04:09:49 EST 2021

Hi Julian,

did you get an answer to this?

On the model grid I would compute the advective fluxes on the grid in both directions (i and j, or u and v). Then there are the fields AngleCS and AngleSN which contain the cos/sin of the angle of the “grid north” (i.e. the j-direction) with geographical north. These angles are for the cell centres, the advective fluxes are for the cell interfaces, so some interpolation is required, I guess.
The westward direction would be: flxugrid * AngleCS + flxvgrid * AngleSN. Similarly the northward direction would (-flxugrid*AngleSN + flxvgrd*AngleCS)  (and as usual I never know about the sign of the sin-term, could be the other way around).

Does that answer your question?

Martin