[MITgcm-support] Crashing at run-time because /dev/null is not available

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 12:26:05 EDT 2021

Hello,

I am trying to run MITgcm on [ARCHER2](https://www.archer2.ac.uk/),
compiled using the gnu compiler. I'm getting the following runtime issue:

```
Error termination. Backtrace:
At line 1598 of file eeboot_minimal.f (unit = 15)
Fortran runtime error: Cannot open file '#dev/null': No such file or
directory
```
I notice that it's not looking for "/dev/null", but for some reason instead
the first character in the address is #.

The relevant block of code appears to be:

```
        IF( myProcId .EQ. 0 ) THEN
          WRITE(fNam,'(A,A)') 'STDERR.', myProcessStr(1:iTmp)
          OPEN(errorMessageUnit,FILE=fNam,STATUS='unknown')
          WRITE(fNam,'(A,A)') 'STDOUT.', myProcessStr(1:iTmp)
          OPEN(standardMessageUnit,FILE=fNam,STATUS='unknown')
        ELSE
          OPEN(errorMessageUnit,FILE='/dev/null',STATUS='unknown')
          standardMessageUnit=errorMessageUnit
        ENDIF
```

Any ideas on what I should do? Where is the extra "#" character coming from?

Best,
Dan