[MITgcm-support] SHELFICE Boundary Layer Parameterization

Ken Hughes kenneth.hughes at oregonstate.edu
Wed Jun 2 17:26:04 EDT 2021

Hi Sara,

With the conventional approach, melting/freezing doesn't really occur.
In each horizontal grid cell, the ice thickness remains constant. A melt
rate is calculated, but only so that the correct amount of heat and salt
are added into the ocean beneath the ice. "Melting", for example,
removes heat from grid cell below the ice shelf and effectively removes
salt (essentially equivalent to diluting with freshwater).

This addition/removal of heat/salt is what I think you're getting at
when mentioning the tendency. If you know the temperature and salinity
in the cell vertically adjacent to the ice, together with its velocity
(to parameterize turbulent transfers), then you have everything you need
to calculate the boundary. It can seem like a chicken–egg problem, but
there are standard ways to deal with the heat flux into the ice to
ensure the problem is solvable, e.g., the so-called three-equation
formulation.

You mention you want a dynamic ice shell, so you might need to use the
remeshing add on for the SHELFICE package. I haven't personally used it,
but it is worth a look.

As for why we don't use a dense grid near the boundary, that's because
the MITgcm works on a fixed vertical grid. Unless the ice shelf draft is
everywhere the same, you can't always have a highly resolved grid below
the ice.

If you haven't done so already, work through the Losch (2008) paper,
which describes the physics behind the package.

Ken