[MITgcm-support] How to force river runoff data in a regional domain

Stefano Querin squerin at inogs.it
Wed Jul 28 07:03:01 EDT 2021

Hi Kunal,

As far as I can say, I would suggest option 3 (OBCS along the northern side, in your specific case).
Since you are using high spatial resolution, you could somehow mimic the shape of the riverbeds and simulate (as realistically as possible) both the thermohaline and momentum contribution of the main rivers.
We adopt this configuration in our forecasting system in a small area of the Mediterranean Sea (http://medeaf.inogs.it/adriatic <http://medeaf.inogs.it/adriatic> - river discharges are still climatological, at the moment...): in the maps, the small "sticks" along the coastline are the final segments of the various riverbeds (19), close to the mouth.
You could try to implement something similar by imposing prescribed/measured values of V, T and S (if you use northern OBC, then U=0). Then, V times the area of your riverbed section is your discharge (in m^3/s).
If you also have data on the depth of the riverbed and very small dz in the first layers, you could also mimic the salt wedge and similar processes (see, for example, Figure 5 in https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/9/5/469 <https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/9/5/469>).
With this approach, river segments are part of the bathymetry: you simply have to apply the OBCS at the upstream end of each "channel". Of course, velocities can be very high (up to a few m/s...), so you must pay particular attention to time stepping and CFL condition.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

SQ