[MITgcm-support] How to force river runoff data in a regional domain

kunal madkaiker kunal.madkaiker02 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 06:09:56 EDT 2021

Dear MITgcm users,

I am doing regional simulations in the Northern Indian Ocean.
Stratification in Bay of Bengal is controlled by salinity and freshwater
flux since many rivers like Ganges, Brahmaputra empty into this basin.

I am not able to properly simulate my temp, salinity and currents into the
Head bay region of BoB as I am unable to produce an equatorward flow in my
domain. Freshwater increases in this region during month of JJAS due to
melting of Himalayan glaciers.

I have gone through previously asked similar questions about river runoff
and came to know the following possibilities:

1. To feed at surface through data.exf

2. Feeding a 3-D run-off input using addMassFile

3. Through OBCS/ RBCS.

My domain is regional, with small dz and high spatial resolution.
Please let me know which option is the best suited and reliable, since I
not only want to improve my temp/ salinity but also to rectify the
circulation in head bay region. I would be using Dai et al. (2009) river
runoff data.
All suggestions are welcome. Attaching figure of my model domain.

Thanks and Regards,
Kunal