[MITgcm-support] Fwd: [mpich-discuss] Is it okay to remove F77 support?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 26 22:26:30 EST 2021

Hi All

I wonder if the MITgcm community is aware of the suggestion (plan?) below
from Argonne National Lab to remove Fortran-77 support from MPICH.

I wrote back to the MPICH mailing list,
saying that it would be a disastrous decision.
However, it would be important that other people,
with stronger academic credentials than me, also do it.

Given that the MITgcm is fully written in Fortran-77 and uses the
Fortran-77 MPI API (i.e. subroutine calls), a decision like that
would have a very negative impact.
[I would guess there is still a large Fortran-77 code base
using MPI in other areas of knowledge as well.]

Thank you,
Gus Correa
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University.