[MITgcm-support] issues with SST/SSS restoring and OBCS in EXF package

Andreas Klocker aklocker42 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 22:44:18 EST 2021

Martin,
I tried a few more things.
1) When I use the EXF package, but turn off the OBCS package (and comment
out relevant parts in the data.exf file), then the solver seems to be fine.
2) When I use both the EXF and OBCS package, and also turn on the SEAICE
package, the solver also seems to be fine, but I get:
** WARNING ** SEAICE_LSR (it=         0,   1) did not converge :
(PID.TID 0808.0001)  nIt,wFU,dU=  1500 0.950  2.126087E-09 ; nIt,wFV,dV=
 1500 0.950  1.679611E-09
(PID.TID 0808.0001) ** WARNING ** SEAICE_LSR (it=         0,   2) did not
converge :
(PID.TID 0808.0001)  nIt,wFU,dU=  1500 0.950  3.301846E-09 ; nIt,wFV,dV=
 1500 0.950  5.170461E-09
(PID.TID 0808.0001) ** WARNING ** SEAICE_LSR (it=         1,   1) did not
converge :
(PID.TID 0808.0001)  nIt,wFU,dU=  1500 0.950  4.122604E-09 ; nIt,wFV,dV=
 1500 0.950  1.121440E-08
(PID.TID 0808.0001) ** WARNING ** SEAICE_LSR (it=         1,   2) did not
converge :
(PID.TID 0808.0001)  nIt,wFU,dU=  1500 0.950  4.035429E-09 ; nIt,wFV,dV=
 1500 0.950  9.547553E-09
Also, when I run this for longer, I get a very unrealistic ocean, with deep
mixed layers and surface cooling (the restoring seems to try and compensate
this, but not enough) where they shouldn't be (also far away from any ice)
etc, so while the solver seems to be fine in these runs, there's still
something very wrong.
So it seems to be that there is something wrong with how I use the OBCS
package, but since my OBCS input files work fine without the exf package, I
assume those files are fine.
Any ideas?
Andreas