[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Spurious mixing with internal tides

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 2 13:49:25 EST 2021

Dear Xiaozhou, did anybody respond to your question?

It is possible to reduce (but not completely eliminate) spurious mixing by choosing a different advection scheme.
I am partial to:

C ENUM_OS7MP :: 7th Order One Step method with Monotonicity Preserving Limiter
      INTEGER ENUM_OS7MP
      PARAMETER(ENUM_OS7MP=7)

which you set in the “data” runtime parameter file using:
 tempAdvScheme=7,
 saltAdvScheme=7,

Prather advection:

C ENUM_SOM_PRATHER :: 2nd Order-Moment Advection Scheme, Prather, 1986
      INTEGER ENUM_SOM_PRATHER
      PARAMETER(ENUM_SOM_PRATHER=80)

C ENUM_SOM_LIMITER :: 2nd Order-Moment Advection Scheme, Prather Limiter
      INTEGER ENUM_SOM_LIMITER
      PARAMETER(ENUM_SOM_LIMITER=81)

is supposed to be even less diffusive but more expensive to compute.

There is a nice discussion on advection schemes in the MITgcm user manual:
http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node71.html <http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node71.html>
http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node76.html <http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node76.html>
http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node81.html <http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node81.html>

Cheers, Dimitris