[MITgcm-support] Regarding surface diagnostic parameters in DIC package

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Thu Apr 1 10:51:23 EDT 2021

Dear Kunal,

to some extent yes. There is a setting of the model where calcite
dissolution is calculated as a function of calcite saturation state,
which is switched on by setting CAR_DISS=.true. in DIC_OPTIONS.h. That
was originally put into the model by Kasten Friis.

In that case, the saturation of CaCO3 is calculated at every depth,
which implies a calculation of the full carbonate chemistry, including
the pressure dependence of the equilibrium constants. Have a look into
the routine calcite_saturation.F if you want to understand how.

Note, hoewever, that it is computationally expensive to do so, and
because of that the standard setting is not to calculate this at every
time step, but only every now and then.

I hope that helps to get you started.

Cheers, Christoph

Am 01.04.21 um 15:03 schrieb kunal madkaiker:
> Dear MITgcm users,
>
> My question pertains towards the DIC package, which provides pH, pCO2,
> CO2 flux, etc
> as 'surface diagnostics'. As the name suggests, it gives output only
> at surface level.
>
> Is there a way I can simulate these parameters in depth as well? Any
> suggestions?
>
> -Kunal

Christoph Voelker
Alfred Wegener Institute
Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research
Am Handelshafen 12
27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
e: Christoph.Voelker at awi.de
t: +49 471 4831 1848