[MITgcm-support] Questions about the seaice pkg(SEAICE_ mcPheePiston)

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Oct 30 08:46:16 EDT 2020

Hi again,

I think the error message is self-explanatory, you should have
0 < SEAICE_ mcPheePiston < drF(1)/SEAICE_deltaTtherm
and from SEAICE_PARAMS.h:
C     SEAICE_mcPheePiston:: ocean-ice turbulent flux "piston velocity" (m/s)
C                           that sets melt efficiency.
it basically means that the piston velocity cannot be larger than it takes to travel throught the top layer within one timestep. To be honest, I don’t know what the proper values for this parameter is supposed to be. It’s a tuning parameter and the larger it is, the faster ice melts from below.

I am sure I understand the second question. The model variable “AREA” is a bad name, becaues it is really fractional area (0-1) or concentration/100, so that initial conditions for this field can be only between 0 and 1 for earch grid cell. Everything else depends on the number of grid points and the grid spacing.

Martin