[MITgcm-support] Advection Scheme for Momentum

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Oct 8 11:24:13 EDT 2020

Bertrand,

momentum advection does not have any of these options. As far as I know (but others may know more), for the flux form version, there’s only 2nd-order central differences. For the vectorInvariant form there is some choice related to the vorticity, unfortunately undocumented <https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/algorithm/algorithm.html#vector-invariant-momentum-equations>
This is what model/inc/PARAMS.h says:
C     upwindVorticity :: bias interpolation of vorticity in the Coriolis term
C     highOrderVorticity :: use 3rd/4th order interp. of vorticity (V.I., advection)

M.