[MITgcm-support] Setting up viscosities for the model

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Oct 2 11:22:34 EDT 2020

Hi Kunal,

viscAhGrid is a non-dimensional parameter that basically derives from the stability criterion. You can see in the header of pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F how it is used to compute the viscosity. The main point is that it should be < 1 to ensure stability (independent of grid spacing, because it is scaled by the grid spacing).

viscAh and viscAhGrid can both be specified together, but if you want to replace viscAh by viscAhGrid (which I always do) the relation is like this: viscAh = viscAhGrid * 0.25 * L**2 / deltaT (where L is the grid spacing in meters), or viscAhGrid = 4*deltaT* viscAh/L**2

2. yes, viscAz (or viscAr) serves as the background viscosity for KPP
3. in the monitor output (only if monitorFreq > 0.) in the stdout you’ll find the maximum CFL number (advcfl_uvel_max, etc)

specifying a bottom drag is inconsistent with no_slip_bottom=.True. (either one of the other)
I would use Leigth instead of Smagorinsky viscosity (but you don’t need to have nonzero values for all of the options, you can choose).
replace globalFile by useSingleCpuIO =.TRUE.,
Try to use a delZ without jumps, the rule of thumb is to have dz(k+1) <= 1.4*dz(k)
for constant grid spacing I find it more convenient to replace delX by dxSpacing:
 dxspacing=2891.9791,
 dyspacing=2892.8394,

Hope that helps,
Martin