[MITgcm-support] Restart simulation with biogeochemical packages

Charline Ragon Charline.Ragon at unige.ch
Mon Nov 23 08:37:06 EST 2020

Dear Jonathan and Jean-Michel,

Thanks a lot for your help!

Just to clarify the setup I am using, I run coupled atmosphere-ocean-thice simulations for studying the Permian-Triassic climate.
I have run such simulations without DIC until statistical equilibrium and now I am adding the geochemical module.

Following your suggestion, in my new tests I have not set input files in data.dic, and I have used the default values for silicate concentration for the moment. Moreover, I have used initial files for tracers concentrations and it seems to work well, thanks again!

At present I am using TRACERS_Iter0 = nIter0 in data.ptracers. I saw I can use TRACERS_Iter0 > nIter0 instead, in order to activate the geochemical module at a following time with respect to the dynamical pickup (temp, salt…) iteration. However, I am not able to set TRACERS_Iter0 < nIter0 as in cfc_example, because the model exits with an error due to the absence of pickup_ptracer.nIter0 file.

Kind regards,

Charline

> [...]
>>
>> If you???re still getting weird pH values, then you might want to consider using the Munhoven (2013) carbonate system solver (#define CARBONCHEM_SOLVESAPHE in DIC_OPTIONS.h and selectPHsolver>0 in data.dic)???it???s probably more complicated and less efficient that the Follows et al (2006) scheme, but it may be a bit more robust to initialization shocks and varied paleoclimate conditions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jonathan
>> Dr. Jonathan M. Lauderdale
>> Research Scientist
>> Department of Earth, Atmosphere and Planetary Sciences
>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>> 77 Massachusetts Avenue (54-1518)
>> Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
>> Office: +1 617 324 1568
>> Cell   : +1 617 304 5661
>> Email:mailto:jml1 at mit.edu  <mailto:jml1 at mit.edu>
>> Web:http://paocweb.mit.edu/people/jml1  <http://paocweb.mit.edu/people/jml1>
>> Twitter:https://twitter.com/jon_lauderdale
>>   <https://twitter.com/jon_lauderdale>Blog:https://seamanticscience.wordpress.com/  <https://seamanticscience.wordpress.com/>
>> Git:https://github.com/seamanticscience  <https://github.com/seamanticscience>
>>
>>> On Nov 5, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Charline Ragon<Charline.Ragon at unige.ch>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I would like to restart a simulation originally performed without the biogeochemical packages by activating them (thus including PTRACERS, GCHEM and DIC). Since there are no some of the needed pickups (namely, pickup_cpl and pickup_aimCo2), I have created them by performing a simulation that starts from nIter0=0. My idea is to use such pickups to restart my simulation, is this the right procedure?
>>>
>>> Doing like this, I obtain reasonable values for the tracers if I activate DIC_BOUNDS in order to avoid out-of-range pH values.
>>>
>>> Since I am performing paleo-climate simulations with huge uncertainties on the concentrations of the different tracers, I am wondering:
>>>
>>> 1. Is it correct to set PTRACERS_ref to zero values and start from PTRACERS_Iter0=nIter0 without any initial file? (if I understand well, all fields would be initialised to 0 in this case)
>>> 2. Is the model very sensitive to PTRACERS_EvPrRn? Or is it only necessary to give a certain value for allowing dilution/concentration? Which value?