[MITgcm-support] adding uniform background flow to all water grid points smoothly.

Li Jianing li.jia.ning at outlook.com
Sat Nov 21 07:12:43 EST 2020

Hi Martin,

With your suggestion, I altered my configuration by enabling rbcs and it works fine, but a new tricky thing occured when I try enable rbcs and obcs both.
The rbcs derived the flow field as I expected, however, the boundary reflections was too noisy, so I enabled steven obcs to remove the reflections as you mentioned. But it seems like the obcs suppressed the rbcs and the U field kept quite small (~1e-18 to ~1e-5 depending on different obcs configs) after 5 days in model time. Since the rbcs worked well by itself, I supposed the problem is on obcs and separately altered some obcs parameters which may be responsible for it in many model runs, like defining&undefining N/S OBCs, defining&undefining OBCS prescribe, using Olanski, seting rbcs masks to 0 at OBCs... But all these makes no improvment.
By far my rbcs is applied to all wet points with varying masks depending on their distances to the topography. And the attachments is some configs maybe usful. So what should I do to fix this?
Many thanks for your help.

Jianing Li