[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Treatment of Antarctic grounding zone regions

Paul Holland - UKRI BAS pahol at bas.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 14:33:09 EST 2020

Hi Enrico

Briefly, I always choose to 'dig' out the cavity in order to make sure that all of the floating ice has some ocean under it.  My logic is that we know the grounding line very well from satellite interferometry, but we do not know the seabed/ice bed very well at all, and so I always choose to sacrifice the seabed in order to preserve the grounding line.

When doing the 'digging', we usually choose to do it in such a way that the velocity points on the C grid have two cells open in the vertical.  This would in theory make sure that all ocean columns can be connected to each other with a very under-resolved overturning circulation.  This gets a bit complicated with partial cells.  You can see in Kaitlin Naughten's github code you refer to exactly how she is handling this.  Basically, you have to over-dig the tracer point bathymetry in order to make sure that the velocity points are open, however you want them to be.

The above logic of digging the seabed only applies to simulations with static ice.  If you had a coupled ice sheet model, it would be a bit strange to dig the seabed in different places as the model advances or retreats the ice.  In that case, we have adopted other strategies, including digging the ice instead of the seabed (i.e. shallowing the ice in order to preserve a modellable water column thickness) and other trickery with the streamice package.

I hope that helps a bit...

Cheers

Paul

Message: 2