[MITgcm-support] 2D model - Varying cell width (delY)

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sun Nov 15 12:39:20 EST 2020

Hi Pascal,

if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, then you can choose the curvilinear grid option. That’s a bit complicated, because you’ll have to compute all sorts of grid files offline. You can find an example of the required files and how to read them here: http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/arctic … something (the server appears to be down currently, so I cannot point you to the exact place). One needs to define OLD_GRID_IO and then provide dx,dy,etc. (see ini_curvilinear_grid.F for details). Constant f or beta plane also needs to be specficied explicity by fields for coriolis (selectCoriMap=3, see ini_cori.F)

For a cartesian grid, it’s probably safe to simply hardwire dyG and dyF in ini_cartesian_grid.F

But note that with just one row of grid cells you’ll have periodic boundary conditions in y (i.e. no walls). For a wall you need a second row of grid cells with bathymetry=0

Martin