[MITgcm-support] Restart simulation with biogeochemical packages

Charline Ragon Charline.Ragon at unige.ch
Thu Nov 5 12:45:22 EST 2020

Dear all,

I would like to restart a simulation originally performed without the
biogeochemical packages by activating them (thus including PTRACERS,
GCHEM and DIC). Since there are no some of the needed pickups (namely,
pickup_cpl and pickup_aimCo2), I have created them by performing a
simulation that starts from nIter0=0. My idea is to use such pickups to
restart my simulation, is this the right procedure?

Doing like this, I obtain reasonable values for the tracers if I
activate DIC_BOUNDS in order to avoid out-of-range pH values.

Since I am performing paleo-climate simulations with huge uncertainties
on the concentrations of the different tracers, I am wondering:

1. Is it correct to set PTRACERS_ref to zero values and start from
PTRACERS_Iter0=nIter0 without any initial file? (if I understand well,
all fields would be initialised to 0 in this case)
2. Is the model very sensitive to PTRACERS_EvPrRn? Or is it only
necessary to give a certain value for allowing dilution/concentration?
Which value?
3. Which is the role of the input files in data.dic (ice, wind, silica,
atmospheric pressure)? Should they replace pickup files?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Best,
Charline

--