[MITgcm-support] Tidal input at open boundary

Weiyang Bao wbao at udel.edu
Fri Jun 5 12:36:29 EDT 2020

Dear MITgcm users,

I encountered a problem when trying to apply a barotropic tide (u=u0*sin(wt)) at the only open boundary (east side) of my model domain. Firstly I used the script /seaice_obcs/input.tide/mk_tide.m to generate input files and keep the M2 constituent only:
% specify (0.1 m/s, 1 hr) for East boundary tidal component 1
if strcmp(ob,'E')
        tmp(:,2:end) = 0;      %Set dummy components
   if strcmp(fld,'am')
      tmp(:,1) = tmp(:,1) + 0.1;
   else
      tmp(:,1) = tmp(:,1) + 1 * 3600;
   end
end

However, this generated really small velocity (close to zero) at the boundary. Even if I cranked up the amplitude, the output velocity increased but still much smaller than the prescribed magnitude. Then instead of generating the tidal input files, I made a direct modification of the eastern boundary velocity as OBEu = u0*sin(wt) in the “obcs_calc.F” file, which gave the expected results. So I’m wondering if anyone could share some experience of generating the example tidal input files, and is it a safe way to modify the boundary velocity in obcs_calc.F directly? Thanks for your time!

Best, Weiyang

Weiyang Bao
Ph.D. Student, Physical Ocean Science and Engineering
School of Marine Science and Policy
University of Delaware
wbao at udel.edu