[MITgcm-support] Grid Generation

lianzhan at fio.org.cn lianzhan at fio.org.cn
Mon Jul 20 10:11:56 EDT 2020

Hi Martin

Thank you so much

Zhan Lian

lianzhan at fio.org.cn

From: Martin Losch
Date: 2020-07-20 14:44
To: MITgcm Support
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Grid Generation
Hi Zhan Lian,

in theory, it is possible to use any (quasi-) orthogonal curvilinear grid. You’ll need to find a mesh generator that can construct the grid for you. For the simple grid layout (i,j), that the MITgcm can handle, you could even write this yourself by defining a smooth transistion of grid spacing from the high resolution to the low resolution area. Then you need to provide the various grid parameters as binary files (lat,lot, dlat, dlon, etc. see code that is activated with defining OLD_GRID_IO in ini_curvilinear_grid.F for more details).

For your problem, however, this <https://fesom.de> may also be interesting.

Martin