[MITgcm-support] Strange output fields/discontinuities

Pochini, Enrico epochini at inogs.it
Thu Jan 9 08:45:09 EST 2020

Dear all,

I'm running a regional model of the Ross Sea with atmospheric forcing, sea
ice and ice shelf
I'm observing strange things in some output field, and in particular in
some of the fields calculated by the EXF package.

In the EXF module I'm giving in input pressure, winds, precipitation,
evaporation, heat fluxes and downward lw and sw radiative fluxes, and I've
set the #define to have the configuration  A2+B5 as indicated in
EXF_OPTIONS.h. I'm also using the SEAICE package with mostly default
parameters, OBCS with/without sponge layer.

I'm observing big negative values in Eta (and Eta not being zero on land or
ice shelf), and big discontinuities at some boundary in the FU,FV, EmPmR,
Qnet fields. I didn't use the interpolation option, as I remapped the
fields offline and they don't have discontinuities in the original files.
Some seaice-related fields have also discontinuities at domain edges, and
seaice is missing in some region (maybe because of low thickness that was
cut off).

I attach the configuration and the output files; in results there is a
STDOUT, and files with suffix "extra" contain surface climate fields as
calculated by the model. The ERA5 file is the first timestep of the climate
input forcing, the glorys_2000 file (reanalysis data) is the first timestep
of a monthly average that I used to make initial conditions and set
conditions at OB.

In netcdf results, 2016 is a week output, 8064 28 day output, starting date
2000-01-01
 code.tar.gz
<https://drive.google.com/a/inogs.it/file/d/1eURkfwEPimHA0GaQitjUQWgRSXK34sTs/view?usp=drive_web>
 ERA5_ross_3hrs_2000_regrid_sample.nc.tar.gz
<https://drive.google.com/a/inogs.it/file/d/1ogzKq15Xtd6vPfYyCh-zyxp5Wbfyuhby/view?usp=drive_web>
 glorys_2000_monthly_final_jan.nc.tar.gz
<https://drive.google.com/a/inogs.it/file/d/1jUbAUnhtslIVROFXa8znwHDuD9cx-Fr2/view?usp=drive_web>
 input_nmlst.tar.gz
<https://drive.google.com/a/inogs.it/file/d/1wW1HfdgRdKtfG2K6QITIzQuMVRdn6amO/view?usp=drive_web>
 results.tar.gz
<https://drive.google.com/a/inogs.it/file/d/1cZnGYE2abt8QqCnNUNwO9GT8wzV53wsi/view?usp=drive_web>
What do you think is causing the discontinuities in my fields?

Enrico