[MITgcm-support] basic questions about periodicity in MITgcm domains

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Thu Aug 13 20:10:58 EDT 2020

Hi Jeff,

The type of grid (Cartesian, spherical polar grid or curvilinear) does not influence
the way the halo/overlapping-region of each tile is filled up by the exchanges.
And since the only working option with default exch1 routines is to assume doubly periodic
domain, it applies to any type of grid.

Now, once a wall or an open-boundary is specified, the halo region beyond the wall or OB
is not relevant anymore, so that it does not matter if exch S/R assume a periodic domain.

There are more options within pkg/exch2 that allow to remove some domain connectivity
to make it non periodic, but this does not save much time to disconnect one periodicity rule.

Hope this answer your question,

Cheers,
Jean-Michel