[MITgcm-support] Implementing a sponge layer in the x-position

Edward W Doddridge ewd at mit.edu
Mon Sep 16 08:44:16 EDT 2019

Dear Kevin,

Is there as reason that you can’t use the RBCS package? https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/phys_pkgs/rbcs.html

Cheers,
Ed

________________________________
Edward Doddridge
Postdoctoral researcher
Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

www.doddridge.me<http://www.doddridge.me>

On 16 Sep 2019, at 04:48, Kevin Ha <kevin.ha.pro at gmail.com<mailto:kevin.ha.pro at gmail.com>> wrote:

Dear community,

I am trying to implement a sponge layer denoted a(x) varying between 0 and 1 in the x-direction so that my velocity forcing relaxes at the targeted value (Uf,Vf)=(0.025,0) m/s at the two edges of my domain after a certain time (defined as some multiples of 3600 s) and (Uf,Vf)=(0,0) i.e. no forcing in the area of interest. My domain has an horizontal extent of Lx = sNx*NPx*dx = 50*40*30 m = 60 km long and I have added the mask function by modifying the right hand side of the Navier Stokes equation gU, gV and gT as followed (see lines implemented in external_forcing.F) to get an exponential decay after a certain time. It seems however that the code is not taking into account the sponge layer at all and keeps resolving Navier Stokes without any mask restrictions (which results in oscillations of U,V and theta in the longer times instead of the expected relaxation). Any idea about this issue ?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Kevin.

<packages.conf><gendata.m><eedata><data><external_forcing.F><FFIELDS.h><CPP_OPTIONS.h><MOM_FLUXFORM_OPTIONS.h><ini_fields.F><SIZE.h>_______________________________________________