[MITgcm-support] Diagnosed KPP diffusivities

Ruan Xiaozhou saberruan at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 13 11:07:15 EDT 2019

Dear MITgcm users,

I diagnosed KPPdiffS and KPPdiffT in my model run and they look remarkably similar to my 3D diffusivity input field (except at the surface and a very thin layer near the bottom). I was wondering if these two fields are the total diffusivities used in the model or net contribution to the diffusivity from just the KPP package? Looking at the calcu_3d_diffusivity.F routine, it doesn’t seem like the KPP diffusivities are added to the input field (the code seems to output a new KappaRTr and thus overwrites the previous one). A related question is, if I only had KPP and the input diffusivity field, could I equate the total vertical heat/salt flux (explicit + implicit components) to the total diffusivity multiplied by the corresponding gradients? Thanks!

Best,
Xiaozhou

 --
Xiaozhou Ruan