[MITgcm-support] Baroclinic tides in MITgcm

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Sep 5 19:28:03 EDT 2019

> On 5 Sep 2019, at 16:06, Matthew Mazloff <mmazloff at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately that is a research question. I don’t know best practices for forcing internal tides on the open boundaries. It is something I am working on. Maybe someone else on the mailing list can help out.

You could use a product like Zhongxiang Zhao’s surface mode-1 internal tide altimetric estimates to force the internal tide at the boundaries, preferably using one of his products that separates the tide into directions.  That would get you pretty close.  I’m not sure if he makes these publicly available...

I use rbcs to force internal tides in situations like this to allow the sponge layer to have lateral variability.  i.e. you force a perfect internal tide in the sponge layer versus one value that you would get in a normal obcs sponge layer because you usually want your sponge to be substantial compared to internal tide wavelength.  (see the setup in 10.1175/JPO-D-16-0061.1, and somewhat messily: http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/ttide15/ <http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/ttide15/> if you want the set up).

Cheers,   Jody

--
Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/