[MITgcm-support] Baroclinic tides in MITgcm

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 5 18:22:26 EDT 2019

OK, I understand now. Yes, the MITgcm could potentially generate baroclinic tides with amplitudes exceeding the barotopic amplitude. However the internal tides are forced from the barotropic tides. I don’t expect the locally driven baroclinic tides to exceed the energy of the barotropic tide by an order of magnitude. I suspect the problem is not with the MITgcm.

If the mooring and TPXO are correct the internal wave energy the mooring is seeing may be from remote regions. How big is your domain? You may need to force at the boundary with internal tides.

Matt