[MITgcm-support] advection scheme 33

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Wed Sep 4 11:53:56 EDT 2019

Hi guys,

I would like to share some figures regarding the advection schemes from my previous practice.

I've injected a passive tracer (with a minimum value of 1 and a maximum value of 3) into a barotropic
nondivergent flow (5.5km resolution) and observed its evolution subjected to the advection process
only (I turned off the explicit lateral diffusion).  I selected nine advection schemes:
  code 2: centered 2nd order
  code 3: 3rd order upwind
  code 4: centered 4th order
  code 20: 2nd order DST (Lax-Wendroff)
  code 77: non-linear flux limiter
  code 30: 3rd order DST
  code 33: 3rd order DST with flux limiter
  code 7: 7th order one step method with monotonicity preserving
  code 80: 2nd order Prather scheme

The tracer is expected to conserve its extrema (min value of 1 and max value of 3) during integration.
Due to spurious numerical diffusion induced by every discretized advection scheme, this is not the case.
The temporal evolutions of tracer extrema look like:

We can also estimate the spurious domain-averaged numerical diffusivity as:

Results are:

Conclusions:
1. 2nd and 4th order centered schemes and 2nd DST generate very large spurious extrema
    while keep a very tiny numerical diffusivity;
2. advection scheme 33 (3rd-order DST with limiter) do not generate spurious extrema but
    has a relatively large numerical diffusivity (up to 25 m^2/s).  Limiter prevents false extrema
    but induces larger spurious diffusivity.
3. 2nd Prather scheme generates very small false extrema while keep a very-low numerical
    diffusivity (~5 m^/2), a very good choice suggested by Hill et al. (2012, OM).

Hope the figures can be seen correctly and hope this helps.

------------------
 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn