[MITgcm-support] Monthly averaged OBCS with useOBCSYearlyFields

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Oct 25 07:23:09 EDT 2019

Hi Kaitlin,

as far as I know the calendarDumps option in data.cal on refers to the “dumps”, so the output of the model. For the input, this functionality is not implemented, not even for the exf pack. (I am assuming here, that you do use pkg/exf)

That means to the *Period will always be interpreted as such, i.e. your 30days, will lead to reading new obcs fields (or exf fields) every 30 days, which will lead to a phase error and lack of data at the end (the record determination happens in S/R  EXF_GetFFieldRec, which is the same for obcs and exf.
With a Gregorian calendar, I normally compute the perod as

0.25*(366 + 3*365)*86400/12 = 2629800.

Obviously, this will only work with a regular cycle of leap years. If you want to be more accurate, you’ll have to divide the entire length of your run (in seconds) by the total number of months of your simulation. This will lead to a small inaccuracy in loading forcing data for a specific month, but there will be no phase error per year.

Martin