[MITgcm-support] dissipation and diffusion rates

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Oct 2 03:58:56 EDT 2019

Hi Yangxin,

1) Um_Diss, etc is “guDissip” in the code, which contains only the explicit contributions. With implicit viscosity, you need the extra terms that are derived from VISrI_Um and Vm (the vertical diffusive fluxes of momentum, that are computed with an implicit method).
2) Um_Diss is the tendency due to dissipation, but VISrE/I_Um is the vertical flux (du/dz*area). To get to a tendency, you need to compute (VISrE_Um[k]-VISrE_Um[k+1])/volumeOfGridCell.
3) the same is true for 'DFrE_TH' and ‘DFrI_TH’. They are vertical fluxes that already include the area. The units are correct to, as far as I can see, because the diffusion term (d/dz kappa dtheta/dz) should have degC/s, so kappa dtheta/dz has the unis degC/s * m, and kappa dtheta/dz * area then degC/s m^3, you need to do the same computation as for VISrE/I_Um to get the tendencies.

Martin