[MITgcm-support] Weird cooling with simple EXF setup

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Mon Nov 18 14:05:51 EST 2019

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for your reply. You are right- after adding a reasonable lwdown input, the surface cooling has stopped.

Best,
Yilang

On 11/18/19, 04:57, "MITgcm-support on behalf of Martin Losch" <mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org on behalf of Martin.Losch at awi.de> wrote:

    Hi Yilang,

    its the outgoing longwave radiation. It’s computed as emissivity*boltzmannConstant*[theta(in K)]^4, for 5degC surface ocean this will give 328W/m^2 upward heat flux.
    This will cool your ocean until you reach a surface temperature of 0K if there is no balancing flux. Usually the incoming longwave and shortwave radiation do most of that. Have a look a any reanalysis data to get a feeling for the order of magnitude of the different heat fluxes.
    In your case, since you turned of downward lw and sw radiation, the heat balance will be between outgoing longwave, and turbulent fluxes (sensible and latent heat), using simple exchange coefficients, you can estimate at which ocean surface temperature, these fluxes will be in balance. For a temperature difference of 5degC, the sensible heat flux is on the order of 100W/m^2, so much less than your longwave flux, which depends on the temperature to order 4. With your parameters, I would expect a surface temperature below 0degC to balance the heat flux at the surface.

    Martin