[MITgcm-support] Bulk formula package and wind stress

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Nov 1 03:54:42 EDT 2019

Hi Océane,

the wind stress (vector) will also drive the ocean circulation. Depending on your parameter setting, the input to exf_bulkformulae are wind vectors, wind speed (and sometimes wStress). wind speed sh (and sometimes wind stress wStress) have been computed in exf_wind, again depending on your parameter settings and CPP-flags. exf_bulkformulae then computes the turbulent fluxes and also the wind stress vector (uStress, vStress) at the end of the routine.

The routine is a little complicated because it depends on what you want to specify. In other words, if you have the model read precomputed stress vectors, then these will be used to drive the ocean, to derive some wStress and then compute the turbulent fluxes. If you use wind vectors to drive the model, then exf_bulkformulae will also compute the stress vector that drives the ocean.

Martin