[MITgcm-support] non-hydrostatic pressure and KPP

Ramón Casañas, Cintia Cintia.RamonCasanas at eawag.ch
Fri May 3 08:44:24 EDT 2019

Hi Martin,
We are using MITgcm to reproduce gravity currents induced by differential cooling in lakes. I followed your suggestion, and we are using the non-hydrostatic capabilities of MITgcm + 3D Smagorinsky. But, still our grid resolution is relatively coarse (dx = dy = 5 m, dz = 0.2 m), and limited right now by the available resources, so we cannot fully resolve the convective cells developing in the epilimnion (and of course, not at all, the turbulent features between the gravity current and the surrounding water), so I believe we still need some kind of parameterization for the mixing, right?

Viscosities are calculated with 3D Smagorinsky, but how is the model dealing with diffusivities in this case?

I have attached an example of model vs. measurements (qualitative) for two types of simulations (M1 is close to the shore and above the thermocline in the lake and M3 is deeper and crossed by the thermocline) in case this helps to clarify:
Hydrostatic + KPP + viscC2Smag = 0.3
Non-hydrostatic + smag3D_coeff = 5e-4 (please, note, for example, how isotherms are tilted in this simulation when compared to the measurements and the hydrostatic simulation, which could be a sign of only resolving partly the mixing induced by the convective cells)

For both types of simulations (hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic),the average RMSE errors between measured and modelled temperatures are similar and ~ 0.1°C

The "data" file for the non-hydrostatic simulation is also attached.

By the way, is there an easy way to output viscosities and diffusivities from the model (3D output and/or diagnostics)?

Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers

Cintia