[MITgcm-support] Simulation Breaking with r*

Senja Walberg senja.w at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 10:30:00 EDT 2019

Hi,
I'm running a lake simulation with the nonlinear free surface and the r*
coordinate, an eventual aim is to include seiche behaviour in the model.
The model is breaking consistently as I mentioned in an email before, and
this is the error we have been getting:

 fail at i,j=  14  11 ; rStarFacC,H,eta =  0.199897  1.939551E-01
-1.551841E-01

WARNING: r*FacC < hFacInf at       1 pts : bi,bj,Thid,Iter=   1   1   1
63844

STOP in CALC_R_STAR : too SMALL rStarFac[C,W,S] !

My understanding is that this is due to near-drainage of the cell. What can
we do to solve this problem? Should we change the bathymetry to have a
minimum depth, or change the grid spacing? Is it possible with the MITgcm
to simulate large-amplitude seiches or is that pointless with the current
model?

Regards,
Senja