[MITgcm-support] noise near the bottom

Yangxin He y67he at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 30 11:41:35 EDT 2019

Hi there,

I am running a simple 2d oceanic model with surface tide with diurnal frequency propagating up and down a slope. There is noise near the bottom of the slope, especially the shelf break area. I have attached a snap shot of the noise near the shelf break, where the y-axis is the horizontal velocity right above the slope and x-axis is the number of points.

The noise seems unphysical(?), though its not too bad, I wonder is there any way I can do to remove the noise?

Here is my set-up:

My deep water depth H=2km and shallow water depth h=200m. I have 80 points in the shallow water region and 400 points in the whole water column. The horizontal resolution dx=46m. I am using pp81 for the vertical viscosity and diffusion and Smagorinsky for the horizontal viscosity.

I have tried increasing the resolution both x and z direction, reducing dt, smoothing out the slope more, increasing the viscosity etc. None of these will reduce the noise except reducing hfacMin from 0.1 to 0.01. My data file is attached.

# ====================

# | Model parameters |

# ====================

#

# Continuous equation parameters

 &PARM01

 tRef=0.,

 sRef= 0.,

 viscAz=1.E-5,

 viscAh=0.,

 no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,

 no_slip_bottom=.FALSE.,

 diffKhT=2.E-1,

 diffKzT=1.E-5,

#new parameters for smag

 viscC2Smag=2.0,

 f0=6.5E-5,

 beta=0.,

 eosType='LINEAR',

 tAlpha=2.E-4,

 sBeta =0.,

 rhonil=1028.0,

 rhoConst=1028.0,

 gravity=9.81,

 rigidLid=.TRUE.,

 implicitFreeSurface=.FALSE.,

# exactConserv=.TRUE.

 nonHydrostatic=.FALSE.,

# minimum cell fraction. This reduces steppiness

 hFacMin=0.01,

#- not safe to use globalFiles in multi-processors runs

 globalFiles=.TRUE.,

 readBinaryPrec=64,

 writeBinaryPrec=64,

 writeStatePrec=64,