[MITgcm-support] GM-Redi question

Naughten, Kaitlin A. kaight at bas.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 05:34:09 EST 2019

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused about the GM-Redi scheme, and how to turn on the "GM" part (bolus or skew fluxes) versus just the "Redi" part (tracer diffusion along isentropes). An old message from Martin (http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2016-March/010355.html) said that he only used the Redi part, but I'm not sure what options control this.

I switched on all the GM-Redi diagnostics in my configuration and discovered that many variables are zero everywhere (GM_PsiX, GM_PsiY, GM_ubT, GM_vbT, GM_hTrsl, GM_baseS, GM_rLamb, plus two components of the Redi tensor which I think are supposed to be zero: GM_Kuz and GM_Kvz). Does this mean that I only have the Redi part switched on? And if so, why is the GM part not on?

Here are the active lines of my data.gmredi:

 &GM_PARM01
 GM_background_K=10.,
 GM_taper_scheme='ldd97',
 GM_Kmin_horiz=50.,
 GM_Visbeck_alpha=0.07,
 GM_Visbeck_length=50.E3,
 GM_Visbeck_depth=2000.,
 GM_Visbeck_maxVal_K=300.,

And here are the active lines of my GM_REDI_OPTIONS.h:

#ifndef GMREDI_OPTIONS_H

#define GMREDI_OPTIONS_H
#include "PACKAGES_CONFIG.h"
#include "CPP_OPTIONS.h"
#ifdef ALLOW_GMREDI
#define GM_VISBECK_VARIABLE_K
#undef OLD_VISBECK_CALC
#undef GM_K3D
#undef GM_K3D_PASSIVE
#define GM_NON_UNITY_DIAGONAL
#define GM_EXTRA_DIAGONAL
#define GM_BOLUS_ADVEC
#undef GM_BOLUS_BVP
#endif /* ALLOW_GMREDI */
#endif /* GMREDI_OPTIONS_H */

This is probably a stupid question but hopefully that means it has a quick and easy answer!

Many thanks,
Kaitlin

Dr Kaitlin Naughten
British Antarctic Survey

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.
UK Research and Innovation has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UK Research and Innovation does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.
Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments that are not related directly to UK Research and Innovation business are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of UK Research and Innovation.