[MITgcm-support] changes in seaice default behaviour?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Feb 11 11:44:12 EST 2019

Hi Paul,

I don’t understand why the SEAICEscaleSurfStress parameter makes such a big difference. It should only make a difference with ice concenrations < 1 (really <<1). For AREA < 1 it basically reduces the interfacial stress between ice and ocean and ice and atmosphere. Why should that lead to more pile up of ice along the coast? Do you have AREA<1 there (i.e. the effect of offshore katabatic winds being reduced by that?)

SEAICEpressreplfac = 0. is different, because removing the replacement may not be undesirable physically. Replacement pressure was introduced to avoid unforced ice motion by a pressure gradient grad(P) in the absense of forcing. Fair enough, that avoid unphysical behavoir, but what does that also do? You replace P (in grad(P)) by P*Delta/(Delta+DeltaMin) (or P*Delta/max(Delta,DeltaMin), but that makes no difference). When ice is pushed against a coastline or into a “bay” (represented by a single grid cell, maybe), there will be no motion and Delta -> 0, but DeltaMin is constant at O(1e-9). So P->0 and there will be no resistance against compression, so that ice can pile up indefinitely. That’s also unphysical. So you have choice between two unphysical behaviors, which both stem from a regularisation/parameterization. You can probably decrease DeltaMin further to avoid either problem, but then it will get harder and harder so solve, … it’s a dilemma.

Martin