[MITgcm-support] body force in apply_forcing.F

Bertrand Louis Rene Delorme bdelorme at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 4 14:32:01 EST 2019

Thank you, Paola and Martin. My answers below:

@Martin: I initialize u with a jet (u0) but since I add a body force in the v-momentum equation that looks like BF = f*u0, then dv/dt = -f*u0 + BF = 0 at t=0. Therefore, I don’t expect an acceleration in the v-direction. Assuming that there is no loss due to viscous processes, I expect the jet to be steady, at least for the time scale that I consider. However, as I said, I see some waves emanating from the jets right from the beginning of the simulation, suggesting that the balance -f*u0 + BF = 0 is actually not perfectly working. Because it is generating those oscillations, I suspected that this is due to a dephasing between the grid that I use for u0 in gendata and for the BF terms in apply_forcing.

@Paola: You were right. Switching to an expression for BF where I average across the neighboring U points gives me what I want. I still have small oscillations generated but with amplitude O(1e-6) relative to the O(1e-4) that I had before. The jet amplitude is O(1e-1) so it might be related to the numerics. Thanks!

Bertrand