[MITgcm-support] Increasing sea-ice/atmosphere drag

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Feb 4 08:23:13 EST 2019

Hi Kaitlin,

I can’t claim that I have a great idea, but I have a few questions:
- why is the sea ice moving so fast (~3m/s)? Is this already a consequence of upcoming blow up?
- if not, can you figure out, what drives the ice locally?
- if the model blows up in the cavities, what is the connection to sea ice?
- do you use embedded sea ice (non-linear free surface options plus useRealFreshWaterFlux=.TRUE.) or “levitating” sea ice. With surface following z*-coordinates I can imagine strong gradients in coordinates and pressure gradient errors.
- have you tried playing with the basal melt/freezing parameters to reduce freezing of supercooled water? SEAICE_frazilFrac, SEAICE_mcPheeTaper and the like (see seaice_growth.F around line 1050 to see, what they really do). SEAICE_frazilFrac=0 should remove any sea ice formation from supercooled water (which means that this needs to be get rid off in some other way, also not good.), but even setting this to a very small value may help.

I don’t think that your drag (0.002) is terribly too high. Until very recently, this used to be the default value.
I think that the solver options will not help you.
If the ice growth cannot be stopped, you can always cap HEFF. This is unphysical, but so are 40m of ice.

Martin