[MITgcm-support] changes in seaice default behaviour?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Feb 4 07:46:20 EST 2019

Hallo Christoph,

thanks for the useful feedback.

I understand the drag parameter (more surface stress to move ice out of unpleasant corners). The scaleSurfStress parameter is strange, when True, the surface stress terms are multiplied by “AREA”, which they should according to Connolley et al (2004), so this will reduce the surface stress only where AREA<1, which is probably not in the areas where you have your ice thickness problems, oh well …

BTW, there’s a SEAICE_drag_south parameter, which lets you set a different value for the drag coefficient in the southern hemisphere than for the northern hemisphere.

Martin

> On 4. Feb 2019, at 13:05, Christoph Voelker <christoph.voelker at awi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin and those interested in the sea-ice behaviour,
> I just wanted to report back that playing with the defaults that Martin suggested indeed solved my problem.
> I did one run, where I switched back the four new defaults,
>
> SEAICEscaleSurfStress to .FALSE.
> SEAICEaddSnowMass to .FALSE.
> SEAICE_useMultDimSnow to .FALSE.
> SEAICE_drag to 0.002
>
> But I also tried to be less drastic and did a few runs changing only one of them at a time.
> The two parameters that had the strongest effect are SEAICEscaleSurfStress and SEAICE_drag,
> the others also lowered the maximum seaice_heff (in monitor_seaice*.nc) somewhat.
>
> Cheers, Christoph
>
> Am 01.02.19 um 10:22 schrieb Martin Losch:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> it’s a shame that you need to use these diffusivities. For the original advection scheme (2nd order central difference), this was necessary, but shouldn’t not be required when you use one of the flux limited schemes.
>>
>> I found that in long runs turning of the replacement pressure (as Christoph does with SEAICEpressReplFac = 0.) usually avoids having too tick ice in individual corners along the coastline (See Kimmritz et al 2017 for an explanation). I am not saying that this is more physical than extra diffusion, but is probably affects the solution less away from these critical points.
>>
>> The diffusion has changed long ago. I don’t think that that is Christoph’s problem.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>>> On 31. Jan 2019, at 20:02, Holland, Paul R. <pahol at bas.ac.uk>
>>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Christoph
>>>
>>> I have had trouble with excessively thick sea ice around coastlines also.  The only thing I found that would touch it is ice diffusion, e.g.
>>>
>>> SEAICEdiffKhHeff = 10.0,
>>> SEAICEdiffKhSnow = 10.0,
>>> SEAICEdiffKhArea = 10.0,
>>> SEAICEdiffKhSalt = 10.0,
>>>
>>> I don't think this is particularly physical, but it works for me!  I tried changing all the ice rheology parameters and none of them solved this problem for me.  Be careful with the values of diffusion though - high values caused blow-ups and undesirable results for me.
>>>
>>> If I understand it correctly, in the old original version of the sea ice code there was a diffusivity somewhere deep in the code (parameter DIFF1), which went away at some point, so I think this is just compensating for that change.  But I think this change may have happened before checkpoint 66f.
>>>
>>> Others have found that ice shelf meltwater leads to very thick ice forming as well, but that seems to be a much more localised problem.
>>>
>>> Perhaps Martin can comment on the above?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul

>>> Hi Christoph,
>>>
>>> here:
>>>
>>> <https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/issues/107>
>>>
>>> you can see, what the new defaults are. I guess you can try to do override some of them:
>>>
>>> SEAICEscaleSurfStress (was .FALSE. now .TRUE.)
>>> SEAICEaddSnowMass (was .FALSE. now .TRUE.)
>>> SEAICE_useMultDimSnow (was .FALSE. now .TRUE., this will make ice thicker)
>>> SEAICE_drag (factor of two smaller now)