[MITgcm-support] closing PR branch without losing subsequent branch (i.e. how to rebase)

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 10:55:52 EST 2019

Hello All

I had a long outstanding development branch corresponding to a pull request
(branch_remeshing), and in the interim i created a branch off of this
branch (branch_horiz_remeshing). With J-M's help the initial branch is now
merged, so now i have the following:

1) my initial branch (branch_remeshing) is identical to master.
2) my subsequent branch ( branch_horiz_remeshing) is merged with my initial
branch.

and I would like it to be as if my branch-of-a-branch was instead a branch
of master. from my reading of stackoverflow etc it seems like this should
just be a simple call to

git rebase master

while the branch-of-a-branch is checked out, and this should be without
issue. However i am getting extensive merge conflicts, even though i have
already merged the branches. Is there a better/proper/preferred way to do
this?

Apologies for mailing this list rather than one dedicated to git, but a bit
of googling seemed to suggest the above, and i would like to adhere to
MITgcm best practice anyhow.

Best
Dan