[MITgcm-support] Configuration of GGL90 package

Nicolas Gonzalez n_gonzal at etud.insa-toulouse.fr
Wed Dec 11 13:35:07 EST 2019

Hello to all,

I am trying to configure the namelist of GGL90 package
in order to have the most realistic representation of vertical mixing as
possible. As I am a new user of MITgcm I wonder if someone could share
her or his knowledge of this package. I am using a regional
configuration of the Mediterranean Sea at 1/16° with increased
resolution at the Strait of Gibraltar (up to 1/200°) and 100 vertical
levels.

For the moment here is the parameters that I would change from
the reference values, and some justifications:

 	* GGL90TKEMIN = 1.0
_D -10

(in order to have a minimal mixing length that is not too big,
see next point)

 	* GGL90MIXINGLENGTHMIN = 10^-6 / (GGL90CK*
SQRT(GGL90TKEMIN)) = 1

I chose this formulation to obtain a molecular
viscosity (10^-6 m^2/s) when the TKE reaches its minimal value.

 	*
MXLMAXFLAG = 2

As in [Gaspar et al 1990]

 	* GGL90_DIRICHLET =
.FALSE.

To allow more regular connections to the bottom boundary.

 	*
CALCMEANVERTSHEAR = .TRUE.

It seems better to me to take the mean
vertical shear than to calculate the vertical shear of the mean speeds.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

Best regards,

Nicolas