[MITgcm-support] Tidal phase in obcs_add_tides

Richet, Oceane (O&A, Hobart) Oceane.Richet at csiro.au
Sun Aug 11 20:30:13 EDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I am implementing the tides at the boundaries of my regional domain and I am wondering what is exactly the tidal phase that I have to put in input. I know that this tidal phase is in second in the MITgcm but what I am trying to figure out is, in the case of the tpxo data, what are the corrections that I have to apply to the tpxo tidal phase. The phase is already in degree GMT but do I have to apply a nodal correction (and also on the amplitude?)? Does the input phase in the MITgcm correspond to the Greenwich phase lag (difference between the astronomical argument and the observed phase - this is what I saw in a previous study)? I am a bit confused by all the things that I read and I would like to clarify this point.

Thank you!

Océane