[MITgcm-support] SSH drift with sponge-OBCS & OBCSbalance

yang zhibin 853245241 at qq.com
Fri Apr 12 12:27:26 EDT 2019

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I will check more. Thanks for your reply. Have a nice weekend~

From:  "Matthew Mazloff"<mmazloff at ucsd.edu>;
Date:  Sat, Apr 13, 2019 00:21 AM
To:  "mitgcm-support"<mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>;

Subject:  Re: [MITgcm-support] SSH drift with sponge-OBCS & OBCSbalance

Hi Yang

I have never seen SSH be unbalanced with
OBCSbalance = true
How slow is the drift? Could it be associated with something else (e.g. freshwater or heat forcing)?

Regarding " have the bathy gradient normal to the wall = 0 in the sponge; turn off tangential velocity; making the corners in the sponge layer have depth 0”
These are not really for balance. These are to prevent a spurious wave guide, spurious mixing, and forced divergence at the boundary.

Matt