[MITgcm-support] Gradient check and gencost with ECCOv4

Christopher Pitt Wolfe c.l.p.wolfe at icloud.com
Fri Sep 28 10:56:08 EDT 2018

Hi all:

Does anyone know if the gradient check package works with generic cost functions in the ECCOv4 framework? If so, is there any documentation or tutorial for it? We’re trying to run a gradient check and the check keeps dying with a file read error. The specific error is a fortran runtime error about trying to read a nonexistent field in xx_precip.0000000000.data. The precip control corresponds to the gentime2d field we’re using for the gradient check. This file exists and is large enough to contain 264 records (although the nrecords field says it has 263 records), but it is all zeros. I’m not sure where the number 264 comes from … it’s a multiple of 11 which doesn’t correspond to any time interval in the problem since the gradient check is over 5 years.

data.ctrl and data.grdchk are attached.

Thanks!
Christopher

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
Assistant Professor
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu <mailto:christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu>             631-632-3152