[MITgcm-support] rStar with cavities

Naughten, Kaitlin A. kaight at bas.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 05:35:31 EDT 2018

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response. Good to know that rStar should work with cavities. I suppose the differences between rStar and no-rStar could be that the "surf adjustment" the nonlinear free surface scheme is doing in the absence of rStar, i.e. adding water to the model in regions which violate hFacInf, is changing the tracer properties and/or circulation. I have a few patches of very thick sea ice which are depressing the sea surface and causing those hFacInf errors. So maybe rStar is actually more accurate than nonlinear free surface without rStar. I am trying a run now with the linear free surface for comparison.

Many thanks,

Kaitlin